Friday, October 14, 2011

Journal 10/14/11

In my life this week…
This past weekend was our annual weekend at my in-laws cabin.  It was a great weekend with beautiful weather.  We decompressed, took walks in the woods, and disconnected from the internet and cellphones.  It was wonderful.  I need more weekends when I disappear from the world for few days.
In our homeschool this week…
Sebastian is learning to read!  He can read short sentences like "I see a hat." It is amazing to see the light go off over his head.  He is really getting it and he loves being able to read.  He is also trying to spell out words throughout the day.  His kidwriting this week was "I see a baby"  and he spelled it "I see a bab." That knocked my socks off!  I feel like I barely have to teach him.  He is just soaking all of this up. I think he will take after his father and love to read.
I am looking for ways to do religious education for him that aren't boring.  We did a unit on the creation story, and it went decently well since I turned it into a lapbook unit. I hope to teach him some prayers as well as get him understanding the mass (or at least understand why we go).  Religious education is the hardest part for me because it is the most important and I am afraid of it a bit.  I'm working on it.
 I am so glad that Sebastian finally tried out Tae Kwon Do.  He loves it, and it wears him out (which means I like it too).  I think we will stick with it for the year.  I am betting he will want to continue doing it for the foreseeable future.  It is a high-energy activity and he is making friends in the class too.

What’s working/not working for us…
I tried Teaching Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons and it was awful. I didn't like that they were teaching the long e sound first (in the second lesson).  I am using www.starfall.com and http://www.progressivephonics.com/ to teach him reading.  Making my own curriculum is working out much better.  Sebastian hated 100ez lessons, and I didn't want him to hate reading.  Using the free sites and doing activities that I make up is working for us, so I will stick with that.
Things I’m working on…
  • religious curriculum
  • adding more science to our week
  • adding more music to our week (shouldn't this be the easiest part for me?)
I’m cooking…
I bought some apples to make an apple crumble, but my tummy has been upset for a few days so the thought of food is a huge turn-off.
I’m grateful for…
Our house appreciating in value!! I didn't think it was even possible in the current financial climate, but God is looking out for us and giving us a way to start saving.

A photo, video, link, or quote to share…

My family having fun in a corn maze this past weekend. It is an family tradition we do on our annual trip to the cabin.



The Homeschool Mother's Journal

No comments: