Monday, January 23, 2012

Healthful Breakfast Shake

So many people on Pinterest are pinning healthful shakes to help lose weight or just get more fruit and veggies in for the day. I have been making "milkshakes" for myself and my kids and I thought I would share with you my recipe.

My Chocolate Breakfast (warning, these are estimates.  I never measure, just eyeball it)
In my blender I add (in this order)
1-2 handfuls organic spinach
1/2 frozen banana
1 handful (total) frozen strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and blackberries
1 scoop chocolate shake mix (like Slimfast, but I use the store brand)
1 spoonful ground flaxseed (about 2 teaspoons)
2-3 heaping spoonfuls Greek vanilla yogurt (about 1/4 cup or so)
3/4 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk

Pulse a few times to make sure there is enough liquid in there to do its thing, than blend it and let it go.  So tasty!! Sometimes I put a scoop of peanut butter in there, but not usually.  It depends on what I feel like in the morning.  It turns out brown, like a chocolate shake.  The green shakes disturbed me so I had to cover them up.  This makes enough to share, so I will drink 1/2 - 3/4 of it and give the rest to Sebastian.  He loves it.

Nutrition Facts

  2 Servings

Amount Per Serving
  Calories 188.9
  Total Fat 4.4 g
      Saturated Fat 0.2 g
      Polyunsaturated Fat 1.0 g
      Monounsaturated Fat 0.3 g
  Cholesterol 0.0 mg
  Sodium 124.6 mg
  Potassium 313.0 mg
  Total Carbohydrate 27.9 g
      Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
      Sugars 14.5 g
  Protein 10.0 g

  Vitamin A 20.2 %
  Vitamin B-12 0.0 %
  Vitamin B-6 9.7 %
  Vitamin C 25.8 %
  Vitamin D 12.5 %
  Vitamin E 27.2 %
  Calcium 19.5 %
  Copper 3.3 %
  Folate 6.5 %
  Iron 4.3 %
  Magnesium 6.5 %
  Manganese 15.3 %
  Niacin 1.7 %
  Pantothenic Acid     1.5 %
  Phosphorus     3.5 %
  Riboflavin 3.7 %
  Selenium 0.8 %
  Thiamin 2.0 %
  Zinc 1.0 %

*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.


I also make a shake for Kaelyn and take out the flax seed and shake mix and instead of almond milk I will either put in whole milk or toddler formula. Sometimes I add a squirt of chocolate or strawberry syrup. If it isn't thick enough I will add some baby cereal too. This is the ONLY way Kaelyn will get any fruit in her.  She hates fruit, but when it tastes like a milk shake, she will go for it.

I got the idea to make a shake for Kaelyn from Michelle at My Hope Fulfilled.  I hadn't even thought about making a shake for her to enjoy. Why not?  Thanks, Michelle!  You have enabled me to get some fruit in this girl!

4 comments:

Gallivanting Geismom said...

the Spinach leaves me skeptical.
Can you taste it when you drink the shake?
The rest of the recipe sounds fabulous.
Do you know what the benefit of the Spinach would be?

Thanks for sharing this....I think I will try making it.

Also, the waffle recipe looks great as well. And, Lord knows, I have plenty of applesauce to experiment with!

Barbara

Oiralinde said...

As long as you use enough frozen fruit, you can't tell there is spinach in it. If you don't put in enough frozen items or ice than you can tell there is a difference in texture than a normal smoothie. The spinach is an antioxidant and adds folate/folic acid, vitamins C, fiber, and calcium. I haven't been adding the spinach lately because we have been eating strawberry-spinach salads instead.

Oiralinde said...

Also, I have been using plain yogurt and adding in some agave nectar.

Oiralinde said...

Oh, I also like to add mango and pinneapple too (without the chocolate shake part). I like to change my smoothies up often. I've become a pro at making breakfast smoothies.