Friday, April 20, 2012

Music Recital and a Bully

In my life this week…
This past week I performed in my first faculty recital.  I was nervous, but I ended up having a lot of fun and I am proud of how the music turned out. (PS I counted the recital as music class for Sebastian. Bonus!!)

The trio: Aubade by Georges Enesco


My solo: Meditation & Processional by Ernest Bloch

In our homeschool this week…

We are back from our almost 2 week Easter vacation.  The vacation was nice, but it was hard to get back into the swing of things.  We weren't super heavy this week, but I have some fun plans for next week.  We have been studying long vowel words, trying to be more fluid with reading, continents & oceans, plants & seeds, and addition and subtraction word problems.
A very sad thing happened this week.  I took the kids to McDonald's yesterday and let them play in the jungle gym (it is good to let them blow off steam). Unfortunately, Sebastian had his first dealing with a bully that grabbed him, pushed him, and was saying some very cruel things to him.  Sebastian came running out to me and my heart broke for him.  We had a conversation about what happened and I explained this is one of the reasons we are homeschooling him.  There is no reason a 4-year old should have to deal with this. Sebastian always liked the idea of homeschooling, but this sealed the deal for him.  He said he likes being able to choose his friends and choose who he has to spend time with.  Of course, when he is at co-op he has to be around kids he may not love and want to play with, but they are all nice kids and I have never seen kids bully each other there (that may have to deal with the wonderful parent-kid ratio homeschool allows). 
What’s working/not working for us…
I changed up how we handle our daily homeschool. I used to have a large binder with all our worksheets in it for a whole unit.  Now I have a folder for each day and I put the books and worksheets we are using only for that day in the folder.  I also add a little note telling me what I want to accomplish that day.  This has been working out better, because there is a lot less for him to see and he doesn't freak out about it.  I will continue doing this for a while.

I’m reading…
The Lucky One by Nicolas Sparks.  Meh.  It's cheesy, but I wanted to read the book before I saw the movie. I hope the movie is better.
I’m cooking…
I made Chili Lo Mein last night.  It was a Disney recipe and it is the BEST chili I have ever made.  It was very spicy, but we liked it.  I will be making it again, that is for sure. I also have some picked eggs, and spicy picked eggs for buffalo-deviled-eggs in the fridge.  I can't wait to try out my recipe I made up!
I’m grateful for…
A family that supports me through my highs and lows. Especially my lows.

A photo, video, link, or quote to share…

Sebastian earned his blue stripe in Tae Kwon Do this week!
Kaelyn loves her stuffed animals.  I pile them on her at bedtime, and now she wants them surrounding her during the day too.  She can't be any more like me if she tried.



The Homeschool Mother's Journal

2 comments:

Latonya said...

I am sorry to hear your son had to experience bullying. Luckily, he had you to come to.

Our Side of the Mountain said...

Aw, my heart breaks for your little buddy too! :( When my oldest was 4 1/2 he was bullied by 2 8-year-old boys at a campground. They would even bully him with me 10 feet away! It was amazing the boldness of such young kids! Despite having stopped it quickly, the damage was done and my son had nightmares for about a week. He doesn't remember it now, but he does remember being bullied when he was 8 1/2 at another campground, but being older, wiser and "together", he told me, "It's OK, Mom! He just wants attention! What he says doesn't mean anything important." And off he went! Hang in there! (And let your son know he was very brave!)