Thursday, January 10, 2013

Being Thankful


It is days (and weeks) like this that I feel like a failure.  This week started out with Kaelyn picking up cow poop with her hands and ended with me dropping my violin during a lesson. In the middle of the week I had to deal with terrible twos, starting up homeschool after a 2 1/2 week break, breaking my viola, and testing to see if I don't need my anxiety medicine anymore. This week has been the ultimate anxiety test. I need to just stop. Both instruments are going to the doctor on Saturday and Kaelyn has been disinfected. I can move on. Right?  

Being thankful has been difficult this week. I have been stressed out and frustrated with myself and I have had a hard time seeing the good.
Rejoice always. Pray without ceasing. In all circumstances give thanks, for this is the will of God for you in Christ Jesus.~ Thessalonians 5:16-18
I will give thanks. God is good and he is with me all the time. He was there when Kaelyn was giving her baby a bath in the toilet. He was there when Sebastian was crying over math lessons.  He was even there when I forgot where my head was (which happens way too often).

I believe this week has been stressful because I decided to do some deep Bible studying. I have read the Bible in 90 days, and I have paged through the Psalms and Proverbs occasionally, but I have never dived in and dug down. I decided I wanted to spend quality time with my Bible and read the entire Bible in chronological order and take my time with it. I expect this will take a long time- a year or longer. Even though I have wanted to hide under the covers when I get home, I have made sure to spend some time with the Word.

My thought today is thanks.
  • I am thankful that God loves me.
  • I am thankful my husband is understanding.
  • I am thankful my kids are crazy.
  • I am thankful my job is not work- but something I love to do.
  • I am thankful for The Table, a group of families that come together for discipleship, fellowship, and relationship. (I thrive on our meetings!)
  • I am thankful for food on our plates and heat in the house. Too many people are without basic needs and we have ours covered. I cannot be thankful enough.
What are you thankful for?

5 comments:

Matt M. said...

I am thankful that we got to have lunch with your family today.

jrbeers717 said...

I am thankful for all my great friends.

Oiralinde said...

Thanks Matt and Josh! I am not sure how I missed on saying my thanks for friends. I have some great ones!

Matt M. said...

I am thankful for the reminder to turn to God's word. He will see us through even on days when baby dolls get baths in the toilet :)

Gallivanting Geismom said...

Elyse,
I noticed in my younger days, that when I made an attempt to get closer to God, the same type of mishaps would befall me. It's like that old saying, "be careful what you pray for"!
I hope that this week goes better for you. These are great memories, believe it or not!
And I hope that your instruments recover soon!
Hang in there.
Barbara