Saturday, February 9, 2013

A Grocery Store Blessing

It was just an ordinary Wednesday for me.  I went to work in the evening to teach music lessons, and on the way home I stopped by the grocery store for some food.  Then, while picking up milk in the dairy aisle my life changed. A man waved at me and smiled. I smiled and waved back.  He came up to me and introduced himself as John and wanted to talk.  I could tell he must have had some disabilities, so I decided to take a moment and talk to him. I wasn't in a rush and he seemed like he could use some company.

I can tell you that we spoke for over 30 minutes, and he blessed me. I will never forget John. He spoke of the Bible and of Jesus intimately and easily that I was inspired. John did not have the social barriers many of us have. He told me that he is lonely and looking for a wife (I had to let him know that I am happily married with 2 kids, in which he thought I was 21 !).

John lives in a group home and he talked about how lucky and blessed to have this home.  He talked about how he was bad, did bad things, but that he knows God has forgiven him and he asks God for help every day.  What struck me was when he talked about being a vessel for God. Every morning he takes off his shoes, like Joshua, tells God he is standing on Holy ground, and asks God to direct him and his life for His glory.  John told me that God lead him to the store in order to bless someone.  John says he tries to bless the lives of every person he meets. On that night, John blessed me.

I am just amazed at how God works. I wasn't planning on going to the store after work. John wasn't planning on going to the store that night either. God had other plans for both of us.  God changed me- my heart- through John. I can't write everything we talked about, but we had a wonderful conversation, even if he repeated himself quite a bit.

This ties into something that my Bible group talked about the last time we were together. I am even more impassioned and full of fervor over what our group  is going to do.

Scripture: Matthew 5:13-16
Verse 16 "Just so, your light must shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your heavenly Father."

Observation:
This is the similes of the salt and the light.  The disciples, by their deeds, are to influence the world for good. They are asked to be role models.  However, if they fail they are as useless and flavorless salt.

Application:
This is where I am excited for The Table (our Bible and fellowship group). As a group we are going to do good deeds for others. We are breaking out and ministering to others as Christians are called to do.  Specifically we will be ministering to the Ronald McDonald House. I am so excited to do this because I haven't done community service since before my children were born. It  is so easy to blame the young kids, but honestly, it was just me feeling more comfortable in my own house.  How can I be a Christian if I don't sow God's love and compassion with those who need it the most?  I hope this is just a start- a beginning. I want to bless every person I meet, just like John, and start a domino effect of community service in this world. Just like the verse says, if we can start a light, perhaps we can light others and they can take that light out and light others.  Little by little we can light up the whole world. As my friend, Dean, said: They will know we are Christians by our love of one another.

Prayer:
Lord, Thank you for the gifts you have given me. Thank you for satisfying my needs so that I have no major worries in my life. Thank you for the community of The Table, and growing the community that we have there. I pray that you give us the strength to accept the challenge of service. Help us to realize the needs of Your children and deepen our commitment to meet those needs. Never let us become preoccupied with our human accomplishments, but teach us to know that all things come from You. I pray that you help us light Your light in the hearts of all those that we meet. May we see every day routines a place to glorify You. May we work to go outside of our comfort zone in order to minister to Your children in need, wherever they are. Thank you for loving me, even though I am a sinner. Thank you for life, love, and the ability to share You with the world. Amen.

No comments: